Sunday, October 15, 2006

Six Degrees

A friend recommended a new magazine for a place to submit work. I have a short story that's too brutal and gay to be considered by most of the suspense magazines on the stands. So I wrote to them when they opened their doors for submission on Oct. 1st. I was really suprised when I heard back almost immediately. I thought for sure it was one of those automatic replies. But it was actually the magazine. I'd pitched two ideas that I've had trouble placing anywhere else, and they actually asked to see both. So what started as a longshot recommendation from a friend turned into a fast-track to submitting to this magazine.

I learned to follow up on leads and to try new places. I haven't heard back from them yet, but it was an avenue I'd never have found out about if it hadn't been for a friend.

No comments: